Saturday, November 21, 2009

RECHARGED FOR LIFE

I thank God for friends like Kevin and Debbie. We went out for lunch together. They introduced me to a special dessert called 'Fried Durian" (See photo). It was delicious! I love anything to do with durian such as durian ice-cream and durian cake. I had a birthday celebration with some friends. They bought me a nice big chocolate cake. This year I celebrated my birthday about four times, each with a different group of friends. Awesome! I hope you like this blog entry entitled "Recharged for Life". I love to hear your comments.


RECHARGED FOR LIFE

I am a big fan of the electric toothbrush! I have been using it for years since my dentist recommended one to me. He told me that it is an effective way of cleaning my teeth. I love my electric toothbrush because I don’t need to exert much energy to clean my teeth. The only problem I have with my electric toothbrush is that it dies on me occasionally. Sometimes, I do not recharge my electric toothbrush because I want to stretch it to the limit. I want to see how many times I can use it without recharging. Other times, I just simply forget to recharge it because of my busy schedule. I just come in and out of the bathroom without recharging my electric toothbrush.

Similarly, I need to remind myself to recharge my spiritual life and not just run on empty. I make sure that I have a consistent daily devotion with God. I need to allow the word of God to speak to me each day. What is the Holy Spirit trying to tell me in life, relationships and ministry? What is God’s plan for my life at this moment in time?

Three reasons we need to recharge in God:

1. Allows God to give us new strength

In the rat race we can forget the importance of taking time off to rest. We think we can be more productive by working longer hours. But our bodies are not design for non-stop work or ministry. We get burned out or stressed out if we don’t take care of our personal needs or rest. I take a day off each week to go and do the things I love such as going to the beach, swimming, shopping, sightseeing, dinning with friends, movies etc. I try to take my mind off work and ministry because I know that my work will always be there when I return.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

2. Allows God to give us new vision

God is always doing something new in our lives, family and the community. Thus, we need to take time out to seek God and allow Him to speak to us. We are so accustomed to our daily routine. We like to be safe and comfortable when God wants to expand our horizon and vision. The Bible says in Proverbs that we perish without vision. We lose vitality or passion for life, work and ministry when we stop receiving fresh vision from God. I come to God regularly and ask Him for fresh vision for my life and ministry. I strongly encourage you to do likewise, seek God for new vision today!

After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward. Genesis 15:1

3. Allows God to give us new passion

Life can be like a rollercoaster at times. You experience moments of successes as well as setbacks or challenges. It is so easy and natural to dwell in negativity or pessimism when we encounter setbacks in life. There are thoughts of quitting the race or surrendering to the obstacles or oppositions. The vision that once burned so deeply in our heart is fading away into thin air. Come to God for His comfort and encouragement regularly so you can fulfil every dream and vision for your life. Don’t allow disappointments in life stop you from reaching your God-given potential! I don’t just walk to God but run to Him whenever I need encouragement to fulfil His calling on my life. See you at the top on the mountain by God’s grace!

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? Psalm 42:1-2


Healing Story

I was deaf in my right ear for more than ten years. I used to suffer from an ear infection causing pus to come out from my ear. I discovered I could not hear from my right ear. I went to see a doctor but he could not help me. After Peter prayed for me on Sunday, I could hear clearly and even better than before.

By Pauline Lim


No comments: