Sunday, October 18, 2009

INHERITING THE BLESSING

I had a wonderful opportunity to visit the Oil Museum. The museum was located on the top hill overlooking the whole city. Like a good tourist, I took some photos.


INHERITING THE BLESSING

I am currently reading the book of Joshua. I am inspired by all the people of faith who conquered the Promised Land because of their audacious faith in their almighty God. One person that really caught my attention is Caleb. He was a man full of faith, ready to claim and fight to receive his inheritance which God promised to him forty years ago. I would like to share three principles about “Inheriting the blessing” from God from Joshua 14:6-12.

Joshua 14:6-12 (New International Version)

Hebron Given to Caleb

6 Now the men of Judah approached Joshua at Gilgal, and Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him, "You know what the LORD said to Moses the man of God at Kadesh Barnea about you and me. 7 I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh Barnea to explore the land. And I brought him back a report according to my convictions, 8 but my brothers who went up with me made the hearts of the people melt with fear. I, however, followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly. 9 So on that day Moses swore to me, 'The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly.' [a]

10 "Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! 11 I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. 12 Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said."

Be a person of conviction

Conviction is a powerful word. A personal conviction can move us to do nothing or to do something great for God. After the twelve spies returned from the Promised Land, ten of the spies were convicted that they will be defeated by the giants of the land. Caleb had a different attitude. He saw things through the eyes of faith. He was totally convicted that God would give them the victory over the giants in the land. How convicted are we about God’s love, power and plan for our lives? Are we certain of His unfailing love toward us who love Him? If we continue to doubt God’s character and His purposes for our lives, then our conviction will diminish and we will live in fear and unbelief. Hence, we can miss out the many blessings that God has for us. Live with deep conviction in God’s faithfulness and goodness.

7 I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh Barnea to explore the land. And I brought him back a report according to my convictions, Joshua 14:7

Be a person of promise

Recently, I promised a child that I would take him for a swim in the pool. Every day, he reminded me of the promise that I gave him. He never forgot the words I said regarding the swimming trip. For forty years, Caleb never forgot the promise of God for his inheritance given through Moses. I am sure as he walked through the desert each day, he envisioned a day when he will enter and conquer the Promised Land according to the promise of God. How real are God’s promises for your life, family and ministry? Is the promise of God still fresh and alive or has it been dulled by the busyness of life or despair? Let us continue to believe that God will fulfil His promises no matter how long it takes.

10 "Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! Joshua 14:10

Be a person of action

Sometimes, God pours blessings into our lives without us doing anything to gain it. Other times we have to partner with God to receive His blessings. Caleb was ready to go to the hill country and take hold of his inheritance, even at the age of eighty-five. He did not allow his age or the circumstances hinder him to take hold of God’s promise. Caleb pursued the God-given dream to possess the land as his own. We need to partner with God so we can take hold of our spiritual inheritance.

11 I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. 12 Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said."

Healing Story

Today in Victory Family Church, Bintulu healing meeting, a lady who had hearing problem for over a year. After prayer, she was healed by God.


No comments: