Friday, July 2, 2010

GOD-GIVEN DREAMS

I went to water diving at Sea World for the very first time! I was a bit apprehensive. The thought of going deep underwater with an oxgyen tank while swimming with stingrays and sharks really freightened me. After much prayers and encouragment from my friends, I gathered enough courage from the Lord to try out this new adventure. I had an unforgettable experience diving with hundreds of colourful topical fishes. (See photos)

GOD-GIVEN DREAMS

I love to live with God-given dreams. In fact, I am motivated and energised when I am doing what God wants me to achieve. We all need to live with a dream because we are made to do something bigger than ourselves in life. Without dreams, life can becomes mundane and boring. I love the story of Joseph, the dreamer. He was a seventeen-year-old who received a lifelong dream from God. Read Genesis 37:5-8:

Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more. 6 He said to them, "Listen to this dream I had: 7 We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it." His brothers said to him, "Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?" And they hated him all the more because of his dream and what he had said.


I would like to share three characteristics of God-given dreams:

God-given dreams are bigger

I wonder what Joseph dreamed for his own life? I think he was just happy and contented with his superior position over his brothers. He was in a position of power even though he was younger than his brothers. He could have lived comfortably for the rest of his life without having to do any hard work or look after the family’s livestock. However, God had bigger plans for Joseph than spending life at home with his brothers. God wanted Joseph to be the prime minister of Egypt, second only to Pharaoh.

What is your dream? Is it small in comparison to God's dream for your life? I remember when I was young; all I wanted was to become a businessman. It is perfectly fine to be a businessman for God. I know many godly businessmen. However, God had other plans for my life. He wanted me to travel around the world and share His love and healing. I exchanged my personal ambitions to God's bigger dreams for my life.

God-given dreams are always bigger and better than ours.

God-given dreams are unique

Joseph’s brothers became very jealous of his God-given dream. They held a grudge against Joseph. Not everyone will understand or appreciate your God-given dreams. They may think you are proud, arrogant or crazy for having such a dream. God-given dreams are unique for everyone. God-given dreams are specific to each person according to both natural and spiritual giftings and talents. We need to thank God and appreciate Him for giving us a unique dream. We should not make comparisons with others and become envious or jealous. We all have our own God-given dreams to pursue.

Keep running with your God-given dreams even if no one understands or support you in the beginning.

God-given dreams are real

I wonder if Joseph knew what his God-given dream truly meant when he described them to his brothers, and later with his father. I think Joseph shared his dream not knowing the full implications because he was just a teenager. I think he was too young to fully appreciate the full meaning of his dream. Maybe there was no one older with godly wisdom to explain the dream to Joseph. No matter whether Joseph understood the dream or not, God did eventually fulfil Joseph’s dream 13 years later (Read Genesis 41:46).

Joseph was thirty years old when he entered the service of Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from Pharaoh's presence and traveled throughout Egypt. Genesis 41:46

God-given dreams will eventually come to pass even if it takes a long time.

1 comment: