Tuesday, June 1, 2010

EXTRAORDINDARY STUDENT LIFE

One of my favourite cities in Australia is Perth. It is so beautiful. The city is built around a big swan lake. Many people go sailing on the Swan lake. I went for a leisurely walk on the lake with my brother and he took some nice photos of me. I hope to visit this scenic city again in the future.


EXTRAORDINARY STUDENT LIFE

I was asked to address a group of university student on the topic “Extraordinary student life”. I reflected back on my own student life and what God taught me in that period. I shared from my personal experience about how God can make our student life an extraordinary one.

There are three essentials of extraordinary student life.

Be Peace-filled

University life can be stressful at times! There are many issues that students face such as assignments, exams, adjusting to a new environment and culture, university fees, paying the rent, balancing study and part-time work, paying living expenses, family issues or pressure, relationships and the list goes on. In times of great stress, there is a great promise in the Bible that we can hold on to:

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27


Jesus is our true peace no matter what circumstances we face in life. We can always turn to God for inner strength and peace. I offer a prayer to God when I am stressed or feeling the pressure and God always fills me with His love and comfort. Jesus offers the peace that the world cannot give.

The world offers temporary relief but Jesus offers lasting peace.

Be Purpose-filled

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” 1 Corinthians 9:24

There are many distractions in a student’s life. Some distractions are unavoidable such as a broken-down car or financial problems or family issues. Other distractions, however, can be avoided such as television, playing computer games and night clubbing etc. Sometimes we start well at the beginning of our university studies but over a period of time we lose focus or get discouraged. We need to constantly remind ourselves the long term objectives of our studies. Our education is a stepping stone towards a brighter future. We don’t lose focus because of distractions or quit because our studies have become difficult.


We need to rely on God to help us finish the race like a good runner.

Be Positive influence

“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.” Hebrews 10:24

All of us are influencing the people around us every day. Our influence can be negative or positive. The Bible encourages us to be a positive influence in people’s lives so that we can be a blessing to the community. We can encourage one another to walk with God and walk in love and humility. When I was studying at university, I had a group of friends that met together every Friday night. Our aim was to create an environment where students can receive encouragement, love and experience a personal encounter with God. We set out to make a positive influence to our fellow students.


Ten years later, I am so happy to see some of my fellow students accomplish great things in their lives and in the community

No comments: