Friday, December 18, 2009

BE A GOD PLEASER

When you are in Asia, there are so many good eating places. I had the privilege of going to a nice restaurant for lunch with Ps Jimmy and leaders. The food was awesome! We had dim sim and roast duck in pancake. I took some photos of the food for your viewing and to whet your appetites!


BE A GOD PLEASER

During my devotions this week, I read one scripture that really brought deep conviction and challenged my heart.

for I (Jesus) seek not to please myself but him who sent me.
John 5:30b

Jesus’ ultimate desire was not to please himself or others, but God alone. Wow! This statement really hit me like an arrow. So many times, we live our lives for ourselves. I call this kind of lifestyle as "Self Pleasing".

Self Pleasing brings loneliness and isolation

For the first twenty years of my life, I was a "Self Pleaser". I did things for my own pleasure and enjoyment without much thought of others. I was the king of my life. No one mattered except for me. This selfish lifestyle brought much loneliness and isolation for me. I saw people as a means of getting what I wanted, rather than thinking about how I could bless them.

20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20

Apostle Paul did not live for himself. He submitted his life in service unto God.

"Others Pleaser" brings fear and conformity

The second lifestyle that I lived was what I call "Others Pleasing". We live to please other people around us. Other pleasers try their best to make everyone around them happy in order to gain acceptance or keep the peace. We are afraid of losing friends, even if it comes at the expense of our personal convictions or moral behaviour.

for they loved praise from men more than praise from God.
John 12:43


I used to go clubbing every night or got up to mischief, just to increase my popularity among certain friends. There is always a sub-conscious fear of rejection within me if I don’t please the people around me. I lost my own identity and creativity because I wanted to conform to others or to please them.


"God Pleaser" brings freedom and fulfilment

After I became a Christian, I decided to have different lifestyle. I aimed to be a "God Pleaser" and I noticed some positive changes. Being a "God Pleaser" means I no longer live to please myself or other people, but I live to please God. It was not an easy decision because our society teaches us to focus on ourselves, rather than being God-focussed. However, when we decide to take the radical step of following Jesus’ teaching, we will witness life transformation, freedom and fulfilment.

"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work". John 4:34

Personally, I have seen so many blessings as I decided to live for God's purposes for my life. I have seen God bringing out the talents and giftings in me to bring blessings to many people around the world. I discovered that when I surrendered my life to God, it was when I began to truly live! I would like to challenge you to be different by choosing to be a "God Pleaser" and see the wonderful life transformation that follows. Dare to be a "God Pleaser".

MUSIC VIDEO: FRIEND OF GOD




1 comment:

cookie said...

This morning I sat at the computer and my search engine showed "dare to be god" as a choice, so I clicked it and ended up here. As I seek only the Creator, it did not surprise me to come to a site of someone who follows God's instruction. Peace to you always. Just had to comment.
Cookie